Healthy Living Tip
Eat the Rainbow
Every food has its own health benefits, and colors can help you determine which health benefits you’re enjoying. Here’s a quick summary of some of the benefits associated with these colored foods:
- Red foods contain lycopene, which is a powerful antioxidant that can help reduce the risk of cancer and keep our heart healthy.
- Orange/yellow foods contain lots of carotenoids, which help maintain healthy mucous membranes and eyes/vision (possibly preventing cataracts and blindness).
- Green foods contain various compounds that have anti-cancer properties. They’re also an excellent source of folate.
- Blue/purple foods contain antioxidants called anthocyanins, which can help protect cells from damage and may reduce the risk of cancer, stroke, and heart disease.
- White foods are known for their antiviral and antibacterial properties, and some (like bananas) are a good source of potassium.
Tip adapted from Nutrition Australia